With the 2013-2014 season right around the corner, EA Sports has released
NHL 14. Some hockey fans are preparing for the fantasy hockey season,
while other just want to play some video game action for fun. Although the
game is fresh and most are just getting their first hands-on look at things,
professional reviewers are already hyping it as a huge step forward. With
this game being the last one to debut solely on current generation system at
launch, how did EA Sports do?
Perhaps the feature getting the most hype is the new collision physics engine
that the company is using. This seems to be a focus across the board for EA
Sports, as football fans have already noticed how much better collisions look
and feel. There is a lot of contact in hockey, and the engine does a great job
of differentiating from all the different types of hits.
Speaking of new engines, the enforcer engine also seems to be a pretty big
talking point. After years of using the same fighting engine, all fights have
been changed to a third-person perspective. Fans of the Fight Night series
from EA Sports will notice that it has a very similar feel.
Finally, due to the anniversary of NHL ’94, EA Sports has included that
game mode as a nostalgic feature. There are many people who feel as though
NHL ’94 was the greatest sports video game of all time. Those looking to
play with the old school players will be a bit disappointed, since licensing
issues prevent that. However, all the new rosters can be used for the ’94
version of the game, or 2014.
Overall, reviews from early players have this as a great step up from last
year’s release. The lockout certainly did not help things as far as sales as
concerned, but hockey fans might be ready to make a return with NHL ’14
whetting their appetite for now. Just like fantasy hockey, expect video game
hockey to make a solid return.
1. A new U2 documentary will air on Showtime at the end of October. They are also going away for a long time. Jared, do you have Showtime?
2. Karma is a bitch. Boy Throwing Rocks At Cars gets a crossbow arrow to the abdomen. That’ll learn ya!
3. What? Romney and Bachmann both slipping in the polls? This can’t be right. Oh yeah, I forgot that Perry was vetted by the GOP years ago.
4. Bummer to learn about former Wild player Pavol Demitra (and others) dying in that Russian plane crash Wednesday.
5. Not the best segway here, but virtual boarding agents might be coming to an airport near you. The lifelike 2-D holograms make eye contact, blink and smile while emitting automated phrases, such as “bonjour” and “bon voyage.” Does anyone else think this is spooky?
6. A new online video game is out called, Tea Party Zombies Must Die. Players can take aim at characters as the “Sarah Palin Zombie” and the “Michele Bachmann Zombie” and kill them. I wonder how Gabby” Giffords would feel about this?
7. KARK 4 News meteorologist Brett Cummins is in some hot water after being found in hot tub with naked dead man wearing a dog collar. (Read more)
8. Buttrock definition – If you have heard this term and don’t understand what it means, then let me enlighten you. Buttrock is a subpar genre of music where every song sounds exactly the same. It is usually produced by a band trademarked with cheap, unoriginal song lyrics, and a music that sounds manufactured and predictable. Current music that falls into this category includes Nickleback, Hinder, and Daughtry. It’s not a new term though. 15 years ago, my friends and I considered bands like Winger, Firehouse, and Warrant to be buttrock.
Posted in Books Music Movies & Entertainment, Funny Pictures & Videos, Love Parenting and Relationships, Marketing & Advertising, Minnesota, New Products & Gadgets, Politics & Religion, Random Stuff, Retro, Sports, Weird News Crazy Videos and Conspiracy
Tagged Airports, Bono, Buttrock definition, KARK 4 News meteorologist, Karma, Michele Bachmann, National Hockey League, Pavol Demitra, Rick Perry, Sarah Palin
Minnesota hockey fans were sad to learn that Derek Boogaard died over the weekend. He brought passion and grit to the sport, and he will not be forgotten. R.I.P. Boogie Man. Here is a nice compilation of video of Derek doing what he did best…destroying people on the ice.
Posted in Minnesota, Sports
Tagged Best Boogaard fights, Derek Boogaard, Derek Boogaard dead, derek boogaard dies, Derek Boogaard fights, hockey fights, Minnesota, Minnesota Wild, National Hockey League, New York Rangers, NHL fights, The Boogie Man