There is a lot of news coming out of Japan regarding nuclear reactors melting down. It is serious business and will likely derail plans for nuclear energy expansion for a long time.
There are two types of radiation poisoning. They are:
- Acute Radiation Syndrome: This is caused by a short term exposure to radiation.
- Chronic Radiation Syndrome: This is caused by a long term exposure to radiation.
Symptoms of Radiation Poisoning
- Decrease in the number of red blood cells.
- Decrease in immunity cells or white blood cells.
- Sterility in males as well as in females.
- Uncontrollable bleeding in the mouth, under the skin and in the kidneys.
- Destruction of bone marrow cells.
- Damage of Gastric and Intestinal Tissue. Intestinal Bleeding.
- Massive Diarrhea and loss of water.
The death caused by radiation poisoning is often quite painful. At present, there is no cure for radiation sickness. The only treatment available is for relieving the pain of the patient.
If you can stomach it, a Google image search of “nuclear poisoning” will give you an idea of how dangerous this stuff is.
- Fukushima Residents Test Positive For Radiation Poisoning (buzzfeed.com)
- Japan Battles Partial Nuclear Meltdown (hardware.slashdot.org)